In a Far Away Land.....Not so Far Away!

my travel diary...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Some things I want to remember for the rest of my life:

1. On top of The Great Wall in China:

It was a cloudy day. But inspite of that I could see the wall lining the mountains for miles and miles. I sat on the window opening of one of the watch towers looking out into the vastness. The many many green mountains, clouds in between, The Wall, trees, and myself- that feeling is indescribable. I have never felt so close to myself or to nature before. I was humbled by the view I saw in front of me. Nothing mattered anymore. No one.... every thing seemd so inconsequential and miniscule before the magnitude and vastness of these mountains. There were several of us at that tower. Each had found her own corner and looked out. That was one of the best half hours I spent with myself. I will always remember....

2. Atop Mt. Huashan, China:

We reached the top of the East peak climbing 12kms for 7 hours. The climb wasnt easy by any measure. For an amatuer trekker climbing an elevation of 2200 mts of harsh rock above sea level is quite a feat! But the feeling of accomplishment once we reach the peak, our destination, is immense. We were there to watch the Sun rise. Looking down from the East peak, I saw rough, cold and brutal rock mountains all around me. It was a mixed feeling, one of having supreme accomplishment for having successfully climbed these mountains and the other of complete submission before the might of those fierce rocky mountains. Once again I felt insignificant before this manifestation of nature. We tiny little human beings are negligible, our feelings, emotions, happiness, success, sorrow everything that we strive for in life are negetated in front of the mighty Huashan. But at the same time, I felt more powerful because I had climbed it. It was like I had conquered mt. Huashan.
But I think the feeling of insignificance was stronger than that of conquest. Climbing Mt. Huashan will always stay with me.

3. The dock by the road in Vina del Mar, Chile:

It was at sunset. The sky was going from an Orange to red to blue. I sat at the dock looking into the pacific ocean. It was a clear blue sky with stars twinkling around a half moon. I could see Valparaiso at a distance - a mountain of shimmering gold. The lights of the city behind me. I listened to the Pacific. Calm in the centre while roaring at the shore. Beating so fiercely against the stubborn rocks. Just like a woman. The view was enchanting. The ocean has always intrigued me. And I think it will never cease to do so. I just sat there looking at it. Everything around me ceased to exist. I was alone. Just me and the ocean and the sky. I cant put down in words what I thought or what I felt. It was beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home